The information provided in this Asbestos Training is based on the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012, Approved Code of Practice L143 2nd edition, “Managing and Working with Asbestos”.
The course is divided into 2 main areas of training:
Duration: ½ Day
This training is required when the employer or duty holder cannot demonstrate that the site is asbestos free and should be given to employees whose work will knowingly disturb the fabric of the building and expose them or to those who supervise or influence this work to asbestos.
Non Licensed Asbestos work including Notifiable Non Licensed Work
Duration: 1 Day inc. awareness training
This training is required in addition to the awareness training for those whose work will knowingly disturb asbestos containing materials (ACMs) and is defined as Non licensable Work (NLW) or Notifiable Non Licensed Work (NNLW). Additional task specific information should be given alongside instruction and training. A record must be kept of this training.
All training will include an appropriate level of detail for the work being considered and will use written materials, oral presentation by a Chartered Occupational Hygienist and practical demonstration where necessary.
- The properties of asbestos and its effects on health
- The types, uses and likely occurrence of asbestos containing materials (ACM's) on site and in equipment
- How to avoid the risks from asbestos
- Emergency procedures
- The tasks which could result in asbestos exposure and the importance of preventative controls
- How to make a suitable and sufficient risk assessment
- The control limit and the purpose of air monitoring
- Safe work practices, control measures and protective equipment
- Maintenance of enclosures
- Following company procedures
- selection, use, maintenance and storage of appropriate PPE
- Respiratory Protective Equipment management and Face Fit Testing
- Hygiene requirements
- Requirement and procedures for medical examination for those engaged in NNLW
- Decontamination procedures
- Waste handling procedures
- Emergency procedures
- Which work requires notification as NNLW and which work requires n HSE licence (Licensed Asbestos Work)
- Overview of relevant legislation and guidance (including that pertaining to the carriage and disposal of asbestos)
- Other work hazards
There is also an element of practical training for non licensed work which is based on the tasks the individuals are likely to undertake. These may include:
- Use of decontamination facilities
- Use of PPE, particularly RPE
- Construction of mini enclosure where necessary
- Damping techniques
- Use of control techniques such as class H vacuum cleaners
An individual record of this training must be kept for NLW. This will:
- Help employers conduct suitable task needs assessments
- Support the employee in demonstrating their knowledge, skills and experience when they move from one employee (or site) to another
- Refresher Training should be conducted annually (the asbestos awareness training component is not necessary)
The scheduled course dates below are for training to be delivered at AquaTerra House.
If these dates are not suitable, or you would like to enquire about training delivery at your own premises/site, please use the button below to send an enquiry
1 Aug 2019
6 Aug 2019
19 Aug 2019
11 Sep 2019
25 Sep 2019
10 Oct 2019
12 Nov 2019
There are currently no scheduled dates for December 2019, please get in touch if you require more information.
There are currently no scheduled dates for January 2020, please get in touch if you require more information.
There are currently no scheduled dates for February 2020, please get in touch if you require more information.
There are currently no scheduled dates for March 2020, please get in touch if you require more information.
There are currently no scheduled dates for April 2020, please get in touch if you require more information.
There are currently no scheduled dates for May 2020, please get in touch if you require more information.
There are currently no scheduled dates for June 2020, please get in touch if you require more information.
There are currently no scheduled dates for July 2020, please get in touch if you require more information.
The Candidate must:
- attend the entire course
- complete and pass the written assessment paper
- adhere to course content and demonstrate the required practical application techniques
Certificates awarded after successful completion of the course will be valid for a 1 year period after which re-certification must take place.