06 May OPITO Rigger Assessment – Stages 3 & 4
OPITO Rigger Assessment – Stages 3 & 4
This course is designed for rigging and lifting personnel who require to be assessed to the OPITO Stage 3 or Stage 4 standard. The standard identifies the basic competencies and safety training required by the UK offshore Oil & Gas industry for personnel involved in rigging and lifting operations, generally referred to as ‘Riggers’. It explains how competence shall be assessed and certified for Stage 3 or Stage 4 assessment.
Candidates will need to have successfully completed the OPITO Stage 1 Rigging course within the last 2 years and provide a fully completed and valid logbook based on the OPITO Stage 2 Rigger Standard workplace requirements. Alternatively provide a letter from their employer confirming that they have met the equivalent of the OPITO Stage 2 Lifting Experience.
Duration: 2 days
People: 4 (max)
- Relevant legislation (PUWER & LOLER regulations), personal responsibilities, ACOPs, relevant standards and guidelines.
- Awareness of Manual Handling and good Housekeeping
- The planning of Lifting Operations
- Team work and communication. Ability to work as part of a team
- Different types of slings and lifting equipment
- Equipment pre and post use inspection, including certification of equipment
- Equipment identification and selection
- Safe and correct use of equipment
- Rigging principles and terminology (e.g. angles and tensions in slings, centre of gravity and security)
- Weight identification and estimation
- Placements of loads and disconnection of load slings
- Appreciation of dynamic factors which could influence a lifting operation (e.g. when working on FPSO’s, MODU’s, Semi Submersibles, and construction support vessels)
- Cross haul/transfer loads. Change lifting equipment during a lift
- Location of centre of gravity when offset on a load
- Movement of loads in confined spaces or with restricted access
2021 course dates to be confirmed for training delivered at AquaTerra House.
To enquire about training delivery at your own premises/site, please place these requests into the form below.