06 May OPITO Introduction to Rigging – Stage 1
OPITO Introduction to Rigging – Stage 1
The OPITO Stage 1 Rigger training course is widely recognised as the industry standard introductory course, delegates undertaking and successfully completing the course will be able to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and competence to begin the second stage of their training in the workplace under supervision.
The course is delivered over three days and provides a combination of theory (classroom based) and practical learning (approximately 30% (classroom-based) learning and 70% practical work).
The aim and objectives of the OPITO Stage 1 Initial Training Programme are to provide the delegate with knowledge of the rigging principles, general hazards and risks of rigging and lifting operations, an awareness of relevant legislation and regulation, and an opportunity to practise basic rigging operations following a lifting plan.
Duration: 3 days
People: 8 (max)
Following a series of explanations, demonstrations and opportunities to practise, delegates will demonstrate knowledge of:
- Relevant legislation (LOLER, PUWER, personal responsibilities, ACOPs, relevant standards and guidelines)
- Safe systems of work (permits, procedures, company specific procedures, tool box talks)
- Risk assessment and control measures
- Planning of lifting operations
- Awareness of different types of ropes, slings and lifting equipment
- Equipment pre and post use inspection, including certification of equipment
- Safe and correct use of equipment
- Equipment identification and selection
- Rigging principles and terminology (e.g. angles and tensions on slings, centre of balance and security)
- Weight identification and estimation
- Placement of loads
- Disconnection of lifting equipment
- Hand signalling and use of hand radios
- Awareness of crane operating principles
- Awareness of conflicting activities
- Environmental factors (e.g. weather)
- Awareness of manual handling
- Appreciation of dynamic factors (e.g. FPSO’S, MODUs, Semi submersibles, and construction and support vessels)
- Ability to, as part of a team, execute various exercises
2021 course dates to be confirmed for training delivered at AquaTerra House.
To enquire about training delivery at your own premises/site, please place these requests into the form below.